Friday, December 29, 2006

Damascus 3

Tuesday 19 Dec, 2006 – 14:41 Damascus

This morning I intentionally walked far from my apartment so as to get lost and find my way back. While sidestepping trash heaps and hopping over dilapidated street curbs, it dawned on me that I have not yet adequately described why I find Damascus to be such a lovely place. Truthfully, it’s quite a dumpy city – and yet paradoxically, somehow in its dirt it is beautiful. This town is ancient; some claim it to be the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world – and with that, obviously there are incredibly run down structures. Additionally, almost every building, landscape, and outfit is a shade of black, brown, or gray, and skuzzy streets only add to the effect. But then I walk past a fruit stand and an orange by contrast has never looked so orange – or a banana so yellow. Color, when it’s here, is really here and I feel warm just looking at it. And then the people, so friendly as I’ve described, when juxtaposed to the all the grime, also stand out as bright and welcoming.

Last night I was up until 2 talking with my friend Owais about Islam. Obviously there were difference
s between his beliefs and mine, but there were also a remarkable number of similarities. I was surprised to learn that he claimed Jesus as Messiah. I also discovered that John the Baptist is buried down the street in the Omayad mosque, and is well-respected by Muslims as one of the great prophets. In hearing Owais speak, I was just as fascinated to learn his perspectives as I was appalled by my own ignorance. How could it be that I knew so little about Muslim beliefs and yet was so confident that whatever they were, they must have been threatening to personal and national security? I guess I am more prone to the press’s persuasion than I realized.

(Below is a picture of Straight Street)



1 comment:

Jeremy Negus said...

Wow, you have me wanting to look more into what Islam is. You're right that our press and government have given us a skewed picture, we need to work and fight against the brainwashing!